I recently did some demonstrations at the Catch Seafood Festival on the Taste Of Nova Scotia Culinary Stage. Here is an adaptation of that recipe witch includes golden, candy cane and bull’s blood beets. Hope you “beet” it up!
Beet and Smoked Mackerel Salad
- 1 candy cane beet; peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 golden beet; peeled and julienned
- 1 bull’s blood beet; peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/4 of a celery root; peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Jonagold apple; julienned
- 6 radishes; thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basil; roughly chopped
- 2 lemons; zest & juice
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup micro-greens
- 3 fillets of smoked mackerel; flaked
Thinly slice your beets and radishes on a mandolin if possible; I use a “Benriner” which is a Japanese mandolin. Mix all your ingredients together in a bowl and serve.